Saturday, November 7, 2009

11.06.09 Autumn Morning Grays


This is a great example of a reference picture for my paintings. This early morning snap shot off my front porch can really give you some insight to my plein air work, especially the use of gray. Every where you look in nature you see gray, especially in the landscape. It is most evident in the fall when the leaves begin to turn and you thing that are so vibrant and colorful until you paint them like that and the look dead. John Carlson used to reference the term "painting elegant grays," and I am pretty sure this is what he was talking about.

I love the mauves and violets in this image especially, due to the atmospheric perspective, which is why i took this shot. These values in trees farther away are illusive to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment